Permission to be off campus

What to do if you are going to be studying off campus

When to apply

MSc students

If you are intending to be off campus for more than one week during the taught part of your degree (September - May).

If you are intending to be off campus for more than two weeks during the research part of your degree (June - August).

PhD students

If you are going to be off campus at any point during the year for more than two weeks.

Application process

1. You submit an application.

2. The application is sent to your supervisor for comment and approval.

3. After your supervisor has completed their section of the form, the application is then submitted to the School Postgraduate Office for processing.

If you are applying for a period less than one month (four weeks), your application can be approved by the School. If your application is for a period over one month, the application will be sent on to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Postgraduate Office for final approval.

When your application has gone through the approval process you will receive a letter confirming the outcome.

Please note that as there are various stages to this process it may take some time to complete the approval so where possible please submit your application at least one month prior to your intended period of study off campus.

How to apply

Please complete the online application form below. If you are not logged in to your university computing account, you will be required to enter your EASE password in order to access the form.

Permission to be Off Campus Application Form


If you have any questions regarding the application process or the status of an application submitted, please contact the PPLS Postgraduate Office.

Postgraduate Office enquiries

Contact details



Room G.05
Dugald Stewart Building


  • Monday to Friday:
    9.30 am to 12.30 pm
    1.30 pm to 5.00 pm

    If you would like to talk to a member of the team, please email us and we will respond as quickly as possible.