PPLS Academic visitors
We welcome applications from academic staff based in overseas institutions wishing to visit the School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences (PPLS)
Academic visitors can conduct a range of activities. This might include collaborating with members of staff on research projects, establishing academic networks with our staff and exploring opportunities for future projects. If you are interested in visiting the School as an academic visitor, please click the button below to read our policy on this topic.
Facilities and benefits
As an academic visitor within the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences, you can expect that normally we will provide you with the following:
- Access to library resources and library space (subject to library conditions)
- Access to IT facilities, using a login and password.
- An information document to introduce you to the School.
- A research mentor (your host academic) who will act as your main point of contact for planning your visit and throughout your time with us and whom you can expect to see regularly for discussions.
- Access to research activities such as attendance at School and Subject Area research seminars and any other research training.
In turn we will expect you to:
- Provide your own IT equipment. Unfortunately, the University cannot provide IT assistance on personal equipment.
- Provide your own space for working. Unfortunately, the School cannot offer any workspace.
- Abide by the School’s procedures, especially those to do with ethical research conduct, copyright, and the appropriate use of the PPLS facilities.
- Acknowledge PPLS appropriately in any publications that arise from the period of your visit to us.
- Contribute positively to the research culture and life of the School and any research group or center to which you are attached during your visit.
Examples of such a positive contribution that past visiting scholars have offered are research seminars and blogs; a PhD masterclass; media and knowledge exchange work; and articles for student magazines and journals.
About our research:
How to apply
For visits to the School of Philosophy, Psychology, and Language Sciences requiring access to our resources, you will need to have Visitor status. To be considered, you must first identify and contact an academic within the School who will support and sponsor your application, and who will be present for the duration of your visit. Unfortunately, we cannot consider your application unless you are successful in finding an academic within the School to facilitate the visit.
If the academic member of staff wishes to go ahead with the application, the academic visitor will need to complete this online form. The subject area and School operations team will consider applications, and you will be contacted directly if you are successful.
The School is not responsible for applying for visas on behalf of academic visitors, this is solely up to the individual. Currently the school cannot support certificate of sponsorship applications, this will be reviewed summer 2022, however you are still welcome as an online academic visitor.
The School Operations team are working both on campus and remotely. If you would like to contact a member of the school operations team, then please email us at the address above and we will respond as quickly as possible.