We welcome applications from academic staff based in overseas institutions wishing to visit the School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences
Academic visitors can conduct a range of activity during their stay at the School. This might include collaborating with members of staff on research projects, teaching observation, establishing academic networks with our staff and exploring opportunities for future projects.
If you are interested in coming the School as an academic visitor, please read the information below carefully to ensure you meet the requirements.
Facilities and benefits
As an academic visitor within the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences, you can expect that normally we will provide you with:
- full access to library resources including e-resources;
- full access to IT facilities, using a login and password;
- an information document to introduce you to the School and University;
- a research mentor (your host academic) who will act as your main point of contact for planning your visit and throughout your time with us and whom you can expect to see regularly for discussion;
- access to research activities such as attendance at School and Subject Area research seminars and other research training;
In turn we will expect you to:
- abide by the School’s procedures, especially those to do with ethical research conduct, copyright, and the appropriate use of the PPLS facilities;
- acknowledge PPLS appropriately in any publications which arise from the period of your visit to us;
- contribute positively to the research culture and life of the School and any research group or centre to which you are attached during your visit.
Examples of such a positive contribution that past visiting scholars have offered are: research seminars and blogs; a PhD masterclass; media and knowledge exchange work; and articles for student magazines (e.g., Think) and journals.
How to apply
For visits to the School of Philosophy, Psychology, and Language Sciences requiring access to our resources, you will need to have Visitor status. To be considered, you must first identify and contact an academic within the School who will support and sponsor your application, and who will also be present for the duration of your stay. Unfortunately, we cannot consider your application unless you are successful in finding an academic within the School to facilitate the visit.
About our research:
Please note that academic visitors to the School are self-funded; the School does not offer any financial support. Visitors who are not nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) need to explore the visa implications of their visit. We are not able to offer advice regarding visas or other aspects of spending time living in Edinburgh.
The fee will be £150 per calendar month/£1500 per annum (subject to inflation), to be paid in full in advance of the agreed visit. Information regarding payment of the fee will be provided once the visit has been approved by the Head of Subject Area and the Head of Operations.
If the academic member of staff wishes to go ahead with the application, you will need to contact the school office for the appropriate forms. Applications will be considered by the subject area and school office and you will be contacted directly if you are successful.
- School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences
The School Operations team are currently working remotely and so are not available via the office telephone. If you would like to talk to a member of the team, please email us and we will respond as quickly as possible.