PPLS Academic visitors
We welcome applications from academic staff based in overseas institutions wishing to visit the School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences (PPLS)
At the moment we can only accept applications for virtual visits, although we hope to be in a position to accommodate applications for campus visits in the near future related to arrivals from spring 2021.
Academic visitors can conduct a range of activity during their stay at the School. This might include collaborating with members of staff on research projects, establishing academic networks with our staff and exploring opportunities for future projects.
If you are interested in visiting the School as a virtual academic visitor, please read the information below carefully to ensure you meet the requirements.
Facilities and benefits
As an academic visitor within the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences, you can expect that normally we will provide you with:
- Access to library e-resources.
- Access to IT facilities, using a login and password.
- An information document to introduce you to the School and University.
- A research mentor (your host academic) who will act as your main point of contact for planning your visit and throughout your time with us and whom you can expect to see regularly for discussion via Microsoft Teams.
- Access to research activities such as attendance at online School and Subject Area research seminars and any other research training.
In turn we will expect you to:
- Provide your own IT equipment, unfortunately the University cannot provide IT assistance on personal equipment.
- Abide by the School’s procedures, especially those to do with ethical research conduct, copyright, and the appropriate use of the PPLS facilities.
- Acknowledge PPLS appropriately in any publications which arise from the period of your visit to us.
- Contribute positively to the research culture and life of the School and any research group or center to which you are attached during your visit.
Examples of such a positive contribution that past visiting scholars have offered are research seminars and blogs; a PhD masterclass; media and knowledge exchange work; and articles for student magazines and journals.
About our research:
How to apply
For visits to the School of Philosophy, Psychology, and Language Sciences requiring access to our resources, you will need to have Visitor status. To be considered, you must first identify and contact an academic within the School who will support and sponsor your application, and who will also be present for the duration of your stay. Unfortunately, we cannot consider your application unless you are successful in finding an academic within the School to facilitate the visit.
If the academic member of staff wishes to go ahead with the application, the academic visitor will need to complete the online form below. Applications will be considered by the subject area and school operations team and you will be contacted directly if you are successful.
The School Operations team are currently working remotely Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. If you would like to contact a member of the school operations team, then please email us at the address above and we will respond as quickly as possible.