Language, Multimodality, and New Media reading group
Open to anyone at the university who is interested in studying language uses, social interactions and multimodal communication in the digital and social media contexts
We explore a range of topics, including (but not limited to):
- Social media discourses and online identities;
- Discourse, pragmatic and (socio)linguistic approaches to computer-mediated-communication;
- Methods and methodologies for studying language and other modes of communication (such as voices, gestures, images, etc) online;
- Linguistic studies using the internet as their main sources of data;
- Theoretical developments in digital cultural and social media studies.
Time and place
We meet for an hour every fortnight to discuss advanced research articles. Undergraduates, postgraduates, and staff members are all welcome.
If you’d like more information about the events this semester please email one of our convenors (see below). To subscribe to our mailing list, please use the following link:
The convenor for this group currently is Sumin Zhao: