Action Fund regular grants
About the Action Fund regular grant scheme: what we can fund, how and when to apply. Includes the application form you need to complete.
The application deadline for this academic year has now passed.
The next application deadline date for Action Fund regular grants will likely be in October 2018. Please check back later in the year for a confirmed date.
The small grants (up to £500) accept applications throughout the academic year; this may interest you as an alternative.
What you can apply for
You can apply for a maximum of £3000 to:
- Establish or develop a strategically important interdisciplinary network
- Develop initiatives to support academic communities within a discipline, School or subject area.
- Run or develop an innovative professional development activity/ activities which would support groups of colleagues to develop skills in leadership, communication, networking, writing or other generic transferable skills.
- Run a large or complex ‘Festival of Creative Learning Pop-up’ event outside of the main February Festival week.
Example activities could include:
- Networking and community building events
- Writing retreats, idea generation workshops
- Online resources or events
- Symposiums, seminar series, masterclasses
- Career development activities
- Festival of Creative Learning events such as hackathons, sandpits, and team competitions
Please read our FAQ page for further detail on specific things we will and won't consider funding
You may also be interested in our other funding schemes:
Who can apply?
- University of Edinburgh staff and University of Edinburgh students are eligible to apply to this scheme.
- Applications should be submitted by a team of at least two people. The period of the award applied for should be covered by the remaining length of study (students) or employment contract (staff) of the lead applicant. If the project is interdisciplinary, we would expect the applicant team to represent the relevant disciplines.
- Each application needs one lead applicant. This person will be the budget holder, the main point of contact for IAD, and responsible for submitting the evaluation form and financial summary at the end of August.
What are we looking for?
We explain more fully what we are looking for at the following page:
How to apply
Step 1: Download and complete the IAD Action Fund Regular Grant application form
Step 2: Save your completed form as 'AFLGyyyy_lead applicant last name' - in a .doc or .docx file (yyyy is the year).
Step 3: Email to to the IAD Funding email address below, before the application deadline. (Note: the AY 17/18 deadline has now passed. The AY 18/19 deadline has yet to be set; once available it will be added to this webpage.)
Application review process
- Your application will be reviewed by a panel of reviewers from across the University and IAD staff.
- You will hear the outcome of your application (and receive funds if successful) by the end of November.
- Funds should be spent by 31st July, the end of the University financial year. This means you have from December – July to plan and deliver your project. If you want to further develop your project in a new academic year you can apply to the scheme again. However there is no guarantee you will receive additional funding.
- The final project evaluation and financial report should be submitted to the IAD by the end of August.