Postgraduate study

Names of our degrees

We offer several types of masters degrees, ranging from undergraduate to advanced postgraduate awards.

Master of Arts (MA)

Most of our Master of Arts (MA) awards are undergraduate awards given to students who have completed an undergraduate programme in a humanities-related subject.

Undergraduate degree qualifications

However, Edinburgh College of Art also offers some postgraduate MA programmes.

Postgraduate programmes at Edinburgh College of Art

Master of Science (MSc)

Our MSc is an internationally recognised postgraduate award, available as a taught masters or a masters by research. It is given to students who have completed postgraduate programmes in science or humanities subjects across the University.

You normally need to have an undergraduate degree to be accepted onto one of these masters programmes, although you may be accepted on the basis of equivalent work experience. Contact the Programme Director to find out if you may be eligible.

Master of Philosophy (MPhil)

Our MPhil award is an advanced research postgraduate qualification. You normally need to have an existing postgraduate degree (such as an MSc) to be accepted onto an MPhil.

An MPhil is often awarded to students who have completed the first two years of a PhD course, but ultimately decide not to finish the full doctorate.

Find out more about the PhD degree structure and exit routes.

PhD degree structure

You may also be able to register for an MPhil from the outset. Check the programme listing on our degree finder to find out, or contact your potential supervisor.