Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Visa applications

We are closely monitoring the opening of visa application centres, and aim to issue CAS documents within 2-3 weeks of your request.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

We aim to issue CAS documents within 2-3 weeks of your request.

In order for us to issue your CAS, you must have received an unconditional firm (UF) offer and have provided your certificates. 

We cannot guarantee a definitive date by which you will receive your CAS, as we are dealing with an unusually large number of requests at the moment.

Visa application centres

We are monitoring the opening of visa application centres on a daily basis.

Even in countries where centres are open, it may take time for visa processing to return to normal. It is likely that there will be limited availability at first. We recommend waiting until the visa application centre in your country opens before applying for a visa. 

You can check if the visa application centres in your country are open via the UK Government website.

Find a visa application centre

Travelling with a visa

If you are unable to travel to Edinburgh in September you will still be able to start your degree online, wherever you are in the world, and join us later. 

If you are travelling with a visa, you should arrange to arrive in the UK by 30 November 2020, to avoid your CAS expiring.

If you have not been able to secure a visa and make travel arrangements by 15 November 2020, please contact our Student Immigration Service. We may need to provide you with a new CAS to cover a later arrival date.

Contact our Student Immigration Service

Post-study work visas

We have been assured that the UK government is committed to introducing a new, internationally competitive, graduate immigration route for international students in summer 2021.

For more information, visit our page on graduate work visas.

Find out about graduate work visas

Contact us

If you have further questions about CAS or visa issues during the Covid-19 pandemic, please get in touch.

Contact us about visa issues