Rugby team triumphs at Murrayfield

The University’s 1st XV men’s team has won the Scottish Bowl with a thrilling victory at Murrayfield on Sunday.

Edinburgh University Rugby Club players lift the Scottish Bowl

Edinburgh defeated Aberdeenshire 15-0 in the final, which was one of four games in Scottish Hydro Electric Cup Finals day at the national stadium.

The Scottish Bowl

The Scottish Bowl is the trophy contested by teams knocked out in the third round of the Scottish Hydro Electric Cup, Scottish club rugby's premier knock out tournament.

The win is a momentous achievement for all involved with the club, which celebrated its 150th anniversary last year.

We really had to put in a big performance today because Aberdeenshire really made it hard for us. I'm really proud of the players. I'd like to thank the coaching staff and all our supporters who came down to make this really special day for us.

Jamie CleggEdinburgh University 1st XV Captain

Match report

Both sides started the game with physicality at the forefront as they battled hard for territory and possession. With such desire to make impact in the opening exchanges, the ball rarely left the midfield area.

It wasn’t until the 13th minute that a serious attacking threat was imposed and it came from ‘Shire. The Aberdonians kicked ahead but their final scoring attempt was touched down over Edinburgh’s line by fullback Matt Bennett.

On the half-hour, Edinburgh injected some spark into the game as outside centre James McTurk broke through and chipped ahead. His kick was covered by his opposite man, and touched down over the line to give the varsity side another shot at glory.

Man of the match opens scoring

Edinburgh's second effort was held up but it was third time lucky as man of the match Tom Clarke received a short pass right and stretched over for the opening points of the game. Ian McGhee converted.

McGhee then had a penalty opportunity in the final seconds of the half to take them into double figures, but he hit the right post.

The threat was finally dispersed as Edinburgh were penalised for holding onto the ball and ‘Shire duly cleared their line signalling the end of the half.

Edinburgh seal win

The second half continued in the same vain as the first as both sides struggled to convert pressure into points, Edinburgh University always having that extra cutting edge over their opponents.

McGhee eventually slotted a penalty from 22 metres out in the 64th minute to stretch Edinburgh’s advantage and Aberdeenshire responded to the call to action. The Aberdonians mounted some exciting and creative attacks through stand-off Stefan Cole.

But Edinburgh sealed the win right at the death when a loose ball wasn’t secured by ‘Shire and Matt Bennett pounced to grab the five points. McGhee missed the conversion.

Include article found - identified by: 1.9403

Photo credit: Scottish Rugby / Press Association Images.