A former University scientist has been honoured by having a new building named after her.
The teaching and research laboratories at the School of Chemistry have being named in memory of Christina Miller.
An Edinburgh science graduate who became a lecturer, Dr Miller was the first female chemist and one of the first women to be elected to the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
A ceremony has been held to mark the occasion.
Guests at the event also enjoyed talks, demonstrations and a tour of the School, followed by an alumni dinner at the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Dr Miller was born in 1899 and graduated from the University in 1920 with a BSc with special distinction.
She won her class medal and was awarded the Vans Dunlop Scholarship, which allowed her to undertake research for her PhD.
Among her many achievements was producing the first sample of pure phosphorus trioxide in 1928.
She also gave a definitive explanation of the glow given off by the material.
This work led to five journal papers and was recognised by the award of the Keith prize by the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1929.
Dr Miller was later granted a lectureship with tenure at the University.
The acclaimed scientist was recently featured in an opera by composer in residence Julian Wagstaff, entitled Breathe Freely.
The work was commissioned by the University for the School of Chemistry’s Tercentenary celebrations in 2013.
Dr Miller kept in touch with many of her students until her death in 2001.