Rare texts on show for library opening
Rare texts linked to scientific breakthroughs have gone on show to launch the University’s new science and engineering library.
The Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library, at the University’s science campus, celebrates the legacy of two Edinburgh scientists best known for developing a vaccine for hepatitis B.
An early copy of the works of Edward Jenner, the English scientist who invented vaccination in the 18th century, has been displayed alongside notable scientific papers written by the Murrays.
Also on show were medals presented to Professor Sir Kenneth Murray on receiving his knighthood and on his election to the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
The five-storey library, featuring a terrace and cafe, will help to educate generations of students and support valuable research.
Creation of the facility is part of an ongoing programme of improvements for the King’s Buildings campus.
Future projects include a nursery, a new hub for the School of Biological Sciences and improvements to the School’s buildings.
The Murrays, who were active at the University from the 1960s until the early 2000s, were acknowledged as distinguished molecular biologists.
Their accomplishments include development of a technology now widely used in research.
Sir Kenneth was a founder of biotechnology company Biogen, and created the Darwin Trust to support research and education in the natural sciences, and to provide opportunities for young scientists.
Edward Jenner demonstrated vaccination in 1796 when he administered a tiny amount of cowpox to an eight-year-old boy in Gloucestershire, bringing about immunity to smallpox.