Rory Duncan Research Group (Affiliate)
Molecular organisation of secretory machineries
Research in a Nutshell
Rory Duncan is founding Head of the Institute of Biological Chemistry, Biophysics and Bioengineering, and Senior Academic Lead for Strategy and Development at Heriot-Watt University. Rory’s particular research interests are in the molecular underpinnings of membrane fusion in regulated secretion and autophagy. Together with the Institute of Genetics and Cancer he co-directs the Edinburgh super-resolution imaging consortium (ESRIC, www.esric.org (http://www.esric.org); THE Research project of the Year 2017), developing and applying super-resolution imaging modalities to life science challenges. He is an award-winning and passionate advocate for public engagement with research. Rory has recently been appointed as the Director for Talent and Skills at UKRI.
- Glyoxal as an alternative to to PFA in immunostaining and nanoscopy Katharina N. Richter1,2+, Natalia H. Revelo1,§4+, Katharina J. Seitz1,3, Martin S. Helm1,3, Deblina Sarkar5, Rebecca Saleeb6, Elisa D’Este7, Marcel Lauterbach8, Eva Wagner9, Christian Vogl10, Diana F. Lazaro11, Frank Richter12, Javier Coy Vegara13, Giovanna Coceano14, Ed Boyden5, Rory R. Duncan6, Stefan W. Hell7, Stephan E. Lehnart9, Tobias Moser10, Tiago Outeiro11, Peter Rehling12, Blanche Schwappach13, Ilaria Testa14, Bolek Zapiec15, Silvio O. Rizzoli1,2* EMBO Journal 2017 Nov 16. pii: e201695709. doi: 10.15252/embj.201695709
- SAF-A regulates interphase chromosome structure through oligomerisation with chromatin-associated RNAs’ Nozowa, R-S, Boteva, L, Soares, DC, Naughton, C, Dun, AR, Buckle, A, Ranashoye, B, Bruton, PC, Saleeb, RS, Arnedo, M, Duncan RR, Maciver, SK and Gilbert N. Cell 2017 Jun 15;169(7):1214-1227.e18. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2017.05.029
- Navigation through the Plasma Membrane Molecular Landscape Shapes Random Organelle Movement. Dun AR, Lord GJ, Wilson RS, Kavanagh DM, Cialowicz KI, Sugita S, Park S, Yang L, Smyth AM, Papadopulos A, Rickman C, Duncan RR. Curr Biol. 2017 Feb 6;27(3):408-414. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2016.12.002.
- Li, C, Faulkner-Jones, A, Dun, AR, Jin, J, Chen, P, Xing, Y, Yang, Z, Zhibo Li, Shu, W, *, Liu, D, and Duncan, RR. A Rapid-formed Supramolecular Polypeptide-DNA Hydrogel for in-situ Multi-layer 3D Bio-printing. Angewandte Int Chem, 54(13): 3829–4123 (2015)
- Kavanagh, D.M., Smyth, A.M., Martin, K.J., Dun, A., Brown, E.R., Gordon, S., Smillie, K.J., Chamberlain, L.H., Wilson, R.S., Yang, L., Lu, W., Cousin, M.A., Rickman, C., Duncan, R.R.
- A molecular toggle after exocytosis sequesters the presynaptic syntaxin1a molecules involved in prior vesicle fusion (2014) Nat Commun. 2014 Dec 17;5:5774
- Professor Silvio Rizzoli, Gottingen
- Professor Nick Gilbert, IGMM
- Professor Gabriel Lord, Heriot-Watt University
- Edinburgh Biosciences Ltd
- Professor Seth Grant, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Peter Brophy, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Bob Chow, University of Southern California
Partners and Funders
- Wellcome Trust
- Medical Research Scotland
- Leica Microsystems
Super-resolution optical microscopy; imaging spectroscopy; molecular biology; image data analysis and signal processing.