History of the MRC Human Genetics Unit
First established in 1956 as the Clinical Effects of Radiation Unit under the directorship of Professor William Michael Court-Brown.
Clinical Effects of Radiation Research Group
First established in 1956 as the Clinical Effects of Radiation Unit under the directorship of Professor William Michael Court-Brown. Over the years, with the expansion of research and the increase in staff, the unit was eventually re-housed in a new building and in 1967 the unit became known as the MRC Clinical and Population Cytogenetics Unit.
MRC Clinical and Population Cytogenetics Unit
Following the arrival of a new Director, Professor John Evans, in 1969, the unit continued to grow considerably in size and reputation and in 1974 the new four storey Genetics Building was officially opened. In 1988 the unit changed its name to the MRC Human Genetics Unit.
MRC Human Genetics Unit
Professor Nick Hastie, arrived over 30 years ago to take up a post as a senior group leader. After being Director for 21 years, Professor Hastie was succeeded by Professor Wendy Bickmore. Professor Bickmore was previously Head of the Chromosomes and Gene Expression Section in the Unit.
In 2012, the MRC Human Genetics Unit became part of The University of Edinburgh. The unit remains funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC) and continues to follow the MRC's strategic research plan, but by being closely integrated with the University and a partner in the Institute of Genetics and Cancer (formerly the Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine) at the University of Edinburgh it can also benefit from shared resources and closer collaboration.