Our online programme
The MSc Data Science for Health and Social Care aims to equip learners with a range of skills, tools and understanding to use the transformational power of data to improve health and wellbeing, and the management of care systems, locally and globally.
This is a part-time online programme taught over 3 years. It is designed for professionals at different career stages with varying exposures to data science or for those at the beginning of shaping their careers in this area. We accept applicants from a wide range of backgrounds. The programme is 100% online. We estimate you will need to commit to 10-12 study hours per week.
The programme is suitable for:
- professionals working in Health and Social Care delivery
- health professionals seeking to develop skills in data science, epidemiology and statistics
- those working with a computing background who wish to acquire advanced data science skills in health/social care context
- those seeking to develop skills in digital health
- Video: online learning
- Online learning and the benefits
For this online programme you can choose to complete:
- a one year postgraduate certificate - 60 credits
- a two year postgraduate diploma - total 120 credits
- three years of study to receive a Master’s degree - total 180 credits
We also offer stand-alone courses as Postgraduate Professional Development (PPD).
Some courses from other programmes are available to you.
How you will study with us
Our programme is 100% online. You can join from anywhere in the world so long as you have access to the internet. You will not need to visit Edinburgh in person at any time during your study with us.
You will have access to the University of Edinburgh library and all our student support systems. Find out more about student support
Our online students work on a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) called Blackboard LEARN. Technical support is available 24 hours a day. On this platform you will access course content, reading lists and discussion fora with your fellow students, and you will interact with the programme teaching and administration teams. You will upload your assignments here and receive marks and feedback.