Master of Public Health

Frequently asked questions

We have listed the answers to some of the questions we are receiving from applicants. If you do not find the information you are looking for here, please contact us on the relevant email address:

General enquiries

Master of Public Health (MPH) - online

Contact details

Master of Public Health (MPH) - on-campus

Contact details

How much does the programme cost?

Master of Public Health (online)

The tuition fees for 2022-23 can be found at the following links:

More information on Fee payment options for online distance learning students

Master of Public Health (on campus)

The tuition fees for 2022/23 can be found at the following links:


What if I cannot afford to pay for the tuition?

A small number of scholarship awards are available for applicants for the online programme. There are also some University of Edinburgh schemes that apply to the on-campus programme. Please note that the scholarships are very competitive and you must have an unconditional offer from us in order to be considered for one. If you are planning on applying for a scholarship, make sure that you have submitted and completed your application to the programme before the scholarship deadline, and that you have read the scholarship eligibility criteria carefully.

Please see our fees and scholarships pages for more information about eligibility and how to apply for the scholarship schemes:

Fees and scholarships - MPH (on campus)

Fees and scholarships - MPH online

Do I need to provide an English language certificate?

You must provide an English language certificate unless you are citizen of one of the following countries, which are the list of primarily English-speaking countries as defined by the UK Border Agency:

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Granada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America

Please note that scholarship schemes may have different English language requirements.

Information about the qualifications and test scores necessary to meet the English language requirements is available on the website for the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine:

English language requirements

If you are unsure whether you need to produce an English language certificate in your specific circumstances, it is best to clarify this with the Postgraduate Office for the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine:

Make an enquiry to the Postgraduate Office

I do not have an undergraduate degree. Is my work experience valid instead?

All applicants must have an undergraduate degree. If you have a degree which falls below the academic requirements but you have substantial relevant work experience, your application may still be considered. Contact the programme team for further information.

When is the application deadline?

To be eligible to start the programme in September 2022:

  • Master of Public Health (part time online): apply by 26 August 2022
  • Master of Public Health (on campus): apply by 24 June 2022

I am unable to provide an academic reference. What should I do?

Depending on the circumstances, we may be able to accept a work reference instead. Please contact the programme team for further information.

Will I have to attend the University campus for the MPH online programme?

The MPH online programme is entirely based online. You will not be required to attend the University of Edinburgh campus at any point. Some of our online students do attend the graduation ceremony at the end of the programme, but this is not a requirement.

For the online programme, can I apply to do a PG Certificate/Diploma and then continue to do the Masters?

Yes. As long as you meet the progression requirements each year, you are able to continue on to do the full three-year Masters programme. You can also apply to do the full Masters, but graduate after achieving a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma if your circumstances change and you do not wish to continue for the full three years.