Edinburgh Medical School

University of St Andrews and International Medical University Transfers

Students on medical programmes at the University of St Andrews and the International Medical University (IMU) in Malayasia may be eligible to transfer into year 4 of our six year MBChB programme through a matching process.

Emergency department sign

The MBChB at the University of Edinburgh is a six year programme. Six-year medicine programmes are offered by a number of medical schools in England but, to date, Edinburgh is the only Scottish school to do so.

As we changed the programme length, we also revisited the start dates and lengths of the clinical years in an attempt to improve the balance of the course. Our year 4 commences around the last week in July each year. We hope this will result in a better student experience overall and allow you to engage with clinical medicine at the earliest opportunity.

You can find more information about the content of of MBChB programme here:


The University of St Andrews runs a matching process in the second year of your BSc (Hons) Medicine programme. If you have chosen the 'Scottish' route when you applied to St Andrews, you will get the opportunity to find out about the differences between the Scottish medical schools before you go through the matching process. Please contact the University of St Andrews for further information on the process.

The matching process at IMU runs in your final year. Please contact IMU for further information on the matching process and the universities available.


Once you are matched with the University of Edinburgh, you will need to fulfill certain criteria in order to matriculate.

  • pass your course
  • obtain a satisfactory Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme disclosure

Those who have yet to live in the UK will have to provide a Certificate of Good Conduct and then complete a PVG Scheme form on arrival.

We will contact you in the Spring before you are due to arrive to give you more detailed information on joining us.


You can also apply for accommodation, including specially arranged university accommodation to cover your studies in July and August, should you require it. Many transfer students prefer to arrange their own accommodation rather than entering University halls. However, our Accommodation Services team can assist you should you need it: