College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine Equality and Diversity Committee
The overall aim of the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (CMVM) Equality and Diversity Committee is to promote the mainstreaming of equality and diversity issues and awareness within the College.
It will do this by bringing together staff and students from different areas of the College, with interest and expertise in the area, to identify, discuss, advise on and take forward all aspects of policy and its implementation.
The Committee will stimulate and build good practice and innovation in equality and diversity and will champion Equality Impact Assessment. The Committee will develop an evidence-based three year action plan, and will oversee its implementation.
The Committee will provide assistance and advice and make recommendations to the College Strategy Group (CSG) via the Head of HR, a member of CSG, to ensure that the College develops best practice in equality and diversity.
The Committee will also report to the university Equality Management Group, through the nominated representative of the Head of College on the Equality Management Group.
The Committee will meet as required to fulfil its remit, expected to be at least 3 times a year. The Committee may conduct some business through correspondence.
Equality & Diversity Committee Structure
Membership of the College Equality and Diversity Committee
The membership of the College Equality and Diversity Committee will include:
- a Chair (selected from the membership of the committee)
- all Local Group Leads
- a representative of the technical staff
- a representative of the postdoctoral staff
- an undergraduate student representative nominated by Edinburgh University Student Association (EUSA)
- a postgraduate student representative nominated by EUSA
- the Head of HR
- a member of the HR team
Co-opted members to include the College Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team convenors and other members as required.
HR will be responsible for taking and circulating an action note from each meeeting. Individual members may serve more than one of the above roles (e.g. a local group lead may be a postdoctoral researcher or a member of technical staff).
With the exception of the Head of HR, all members will serve for a period of three years in the first instance.
The mission of the CMVM Equality and Diversity action plan is to embed an ethos of respect and dignity across the College, where all staff and students feel included and valued, irrespective of background, and are able to perform to the best of their ability.
Minutes of Previous Meetings
The minutes of the previous meetings of the CMVM Equality and Diversity committee can be viewed here (secured)
Local Equality and Diversity Groups
The aim of the local groups is:
- to promote the mainstreaming of equality and diversity issues and awareness within their local geographical area
- to identify equality and diversity-related issues and put forward policy initiatives for consideration by the College Equality and Diversity Committee
The local groups will aid in the dissemination of information from the College Committee within their local area. Each local group Lead is a member of the CMVM committee and will serve as Lead for a period of 3 years.
Local groups will meet as required, expected to be at least twice each year, two to four weeks in advance of the College Equality and Diversity Committee meetings (in November and May). Local groups are expected to regularly share information and conduct some business through correspondence.
The role of the local group members is:
- to act as local ambassadors for equality and diversity within their geographical area
- to cascade news of changes to policy and procedures, best practice and developments in equality and diversity to managers, staff and students within their local area
- act as the first point of contact and source of local advice on equality and diversity issues and legislation