A world-class research experience
The College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine is widely recognised as an international leader in basic-to-clinical translational research. Our research centres and institutes provide over 1000 PhD and MSc by research students with an exceptional range of facilities. Furthermore, the vast majority of our academic staff are world leaders in their field, meaning that you'll have the chance to learn from some of the best and brightest minds working in medicine, veterinary medicine and life sciences.
Each year we offer a large number of studentships for high calibre PhD students interested in scientific research at the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. Browse the videos and links below for more information on how you can pursue funded PhD research at the University of Edinburgh.
What our students think...
Why choose us for your PhD?
A world-class research environment: Our interdisciplinary Research Centres give students the opportunity to cross boundaries and work on collaborative, cutting-edge research projects. When you study with us, you will work alongside some of the most influential academics in your chosen field and learn about the very latest developments in your subject area.
We are currently ranked 1st in the UK for Veterinary Medicine (for the 5th year running) and 2nd for Medicine (The Times and Sunday Times Good University 2019). Our world-leading medical and scientific research was reaffirmed as 'outstanding' by the UK REF2014 results.
Personal and professional development: Undertaking a PhD with us will help you to develop a wide range of skills and attributes, enhancing your capacity to compete in the job market and to achieve your full potential as a scientist.
A supportive community: Here at Edinburgh you will receive dedicated help from your supervisor and will also be able to benefit from a wide range of support services and facilities. You can look forward to a warm welcome from all members of our dynamic scientific community.
A vibrant city: Edinburgh is an international city with a rich history and culture. The Scottish capital is regularly voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world - so why not come and see it for yourself?
What's on offer?
Our funded PhD programmes provide outstanding students with studentships, world-class teaching and research training at our cutting-edge Research Centres.
The studentships offer eligible candidates a stipend, tuition fees (at the UK/EU rate) and a contribution towards research costs.
Our ‘integrated programmes’ also offer students the opportunity to broaden their knowledge by taking taught courses.
Our PhD training programmes
Click on the links to find out more:
- PhDs in Bioscience BBSRC EASTBIO doctoral training partnership - application deadline to be confirmed
- PhDs with integrated study in Precision Medicine - Usher Institute - 1st recruitment deadline mid-January 2020. 2nd recruitment deadline April 2020
- PhDs in Translational Brain Science (Autism) - Simons Initiative for the Developing Brain - application deadline 5pm Sunday 12th January 2020. Interviews 4th and 5th February 2020
- PhDs in Translational Neuroscience - Wellcome Trust - application deadline 1st December 2019. Interviews 27th January 2020
- PhDs in Integrative Biomedical Sciences - partnership between the University of Edinburgh and Zhejiang University. Apply directly through Zhejiang University. Deadline mid-May 2020
- PhDs with Cancer Research UK Edinburgh Centre - application deadline mid-February 2020. Interviews March 2020
- PhDs in Genetics and Molecular Medicine - Human Genetics Unit - application deadline to be confirmed
- PhDs in Cardiovascular Science - application deadline 10th January 2020
Students are only accepted for a place following a competitive interview.
Application process and deadlines
Research centres may advertise funded PhDs at any time of year, depending on availability of funding. Please check individual projects for deadlines.
A number of funded schemes have deadlines in early December, so it is advisable to start your research as soon as possible.
Visit our research degrees page to explore our other research and doctoral opportunities, including Masters by Research degree programs and Advanced Training for Clinicians (for Dentists, Medics and Vets).
Other funding opportunities
In addition to our funded PhD programmes, we also offer funded PhD projects, which are usually advertised on Findaphd.com. Information can also be found on each research centre's individual website.
Furthermore, we host students on personal fellowships provided by external funders, University scholarships or their own private funding.