Postgraduate Study
Edinburgh: Extraordinary Futures Await

Application guidance

It is important that you have the correct documentation ready before starting your application. Reading our application guidance will help make things run more smoothly.

How to apply

The following link has all the information you need to make an application for a postgraduate degree.

Applying for a postgraduate degree

Selection deadlines

Due to high demand, we operate application and selection deadlines for many of our postgraduate programmes.

View selection deadlines

Further information for those applying for a PhD

The application process for a PhD can be a bit different, as you need to secure a project and supervisor before starting your application.

Applying for a PhD

Supporting documents

We need evidence that you meet our eligibility criteria, from evidence of English Language proficiency to your degree transcript and references.

Supporting documents

Applying for an ATAS Certificate

All students studying for certain science and technology programmes in the UK must now apply for ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) clearance before starting their studies.

Applying for the ATAS certificate

Applicants with a disability

We encourage enquiries and applications from disabled applicants and students, including those with specific learning impairments. The University's aim is to create an environment which enables disabled students to participate fully in the mainstream of university life. The Student Disability Service gives a general guide to facilities for disabled students and information on access to specific support can be provided on request.

Deferring your studies

Applicants cannot defer their admissions offer, they must reapply for the following year's programme.

PhD and PPD students may defer their studies within the one academic year i.e. from September to the following January however a deferral to the following year will mean reapplying.

Not all documents need to be re-uploaded - you do not need to submit your degree documentation again, we will look at the previous year's documents.

Since references need to be dated within one year of the start of your studies, these may need to be renewed if a deferral means they are out of date.

English Language Certificates must be dated within two years of the start of your studies, these may need to be renewed if a deferral means they are out of date.

Conflicting studies

Students at this University must not, except in exceptional cases and with the permission of the relevant School/Deanery, undertake any concurrent credit bearing studies in this (or in any other) institution other than the one for which they are registered in this University.

English language support

Our English Language Teaching Centre provides English language support for non-native speakers.

English language support