Science Insights is an exciting work experience programme designed to give 5th year high school pupils a real insight into the work and life of research scientists.
The annual programme – launched in 2014 by the MRC Institute of Genetics & Molecular Medicine and The Roslin Institute at the University of Edinburgh– now involves all five research institutes in the University's College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, providing access to its cutting-edge facilities and inspiring researchers.
Science Insights provides an opportunity for 40 high school pupils to spend a week of their summer holidays following a varied programme of activities on four different University of Edinburgh campuses, gaining a real insight into research and work in biological sciences, medicine and veterinary medicine.
- Shadowing researchers in the workplace
- Tours of a range of scientific facilities
- Presentations, workshops and discussions on topics including research ethics, the use of animals in research and careers in science
- Opportunities to meet current University of Edinburgh students
- Skills session to help with future university and job applications
What Science Insights Alumni say
“The lab taster sessions are a great opportunity to get to know more about university life and study, on a one-to-one basis”
“The science insights team made everyone feel involved and planned an amazing and insightful week that I won’t forget.”
“It was extraordinarily worthwhile. If next year’s SI students are going to have anything near my experience then they should know they are in for something special.”