The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) results reaffirmed the College’s reputation as one of the world’s leading centres of medical and veterinary medical research.
UK and World ranking
In the College’s submissions to the Research Excellence Framework 2014, Veterinary Medicine was ranked 1st in the UK, Medicine was ranked in the top 5, Neuroscience was ranked 3rd and Social Work and Social Policy was 3rd.
Globally, in the Times Higher Educational Supplement rankings Edinburgh was ranked 12th in 2015 and 2016 for clinical and preclinical medicine and health.
What is the REF?
The Research Excellence Framework (REF):
- is held every 5 to 7 years
- is the key independent measure of research quality in the UK
- Institutions are assessed at the level of various discipline area submissions and specifically the proportion of academic staff research outputs which are:
- 4 star: world leading
- 3 star: internationally excellent
- 2 star: recognised internationally
- 1 star: recognised nationally
The UK higher education funding bodies have a comprehensive website with full details of the Research Excellence Framework.