Edinburgh Medical School

Research Passports

The Research Passport is a system for issuing honorary research contracts (HRCs) or letters of access to Higher Education Institution (HEI) researchers who need to undertake their research within the NHS.

The Research Passport provides evidence of the pre-engagement checks undertaken on the researcher in line with NHS Employment Check Standards. The Department of Health recommends the Research Passport to the NHS, to HEIs and to other research employers working in partnership with the National Institute for Health Research.

Postgraduate students in College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine

If you have been asked to apply for a Research Passport by your Supervisor then it is likely that you will be undertaking a clinical study in collaboration with NHS Lothian as part of your postgraduate research programme. For further information as to how to obtain the Research Passport please contact Kim Orsi in the Postgraduate Office.

Telephone 0131 242 6374

Further information

Further information, including information on the process and essential documentation required when applying for a research passport can be found on our Research Wiki:

College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine Staff

If you are a staff member who requires a research passport, please refer to the CMVM Human Resources page for the staff application process:

Human Resources website

Students in the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences

If you are a student in the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences (PPLS) the Postgraduate Office is based on the first floor of the Dugald Stewart Building, 3 Charles Street.

Email PPLS office

CMVM students who already have NHS honorary cover

If you are a student who already has honorary cover to work in NHS Lothian, you may not need to apply for a research passport as you will have already undertaken pre-employment checks with them. However this will depend on how the work activities you are currently covered for vary in comparison to your planned research activities.

Please contact Kim OrsiĀ in the Postgraduate Office to discuss your research activities.

Contact Kim Orsi

NHS Lothian Staff

If you are an NHS Lothian staff member who has been asked to apply for a research passport, please discuss this with your local HR advisor.