About the programme
A new programme for healthcare professionals seeking to study for a medical degree (MBChB).
The Medical School is renowned for preparing its students to be world-class doctors.
Our new medical degree programme (HCP-Med) provides a unique route for experienced healthcare professionals to become doctors.
The programme is specifically designed for healthcare professionals living and working in Scotland.
For the first three years, you will study part-time and online, while continuing part-time in your current employment. You will also have an attachment to a local GP and three full-time weeks in Edinburgh each year.
For years 4 and 5, you will join the main undergraduate MBChB programme full-time and be based in Edinburgh.
While emphasising teaching in general practice, the HCP-Med will allow you to follow a career in any medical specialty.
Key features of HCP-Med
- Open to healthcare professionals living and working in Scotland
- Content and assessments mirror those of the main undergraduate medical (MBChB) programme
- Years 1-3: part-time (21 hours per week) and mainly online
- Years 1-3: ongoing placement in general practice
- Years 4 and 5: join the main MBChB programme
The HCP-Med is subject to change in response to feedback from the General Medical Council. The programme will open to applications from 1 September 2020.
- Video: HCP-Med promo vid
- HCP-Med promo vid.
Get in touch
If you have further queries, please contact Vasiliki Pothitou, HCP-Med Administrator.