The tea service is one of only three such sets, one of which was given to General Charles De Gaulle in 1967; a second is believed to have been given to Chairman Mao Tse Tung and the third set was initially kept by the artist as a source of replacement pieces.
Porcelain tea service
- six cups and saucers
- milk jug
- covered sugar bowl
- biscuit jar
The set was given to the late Dr Wiktor Tomaszewski founder of the Polish School of Medicine Historical Collection who was a friend of the artist.
The late Mrs Krystyna Tomaszewska, Dr Tomaszewski’s widow, presented this third set to Professor Colin C Bird, then Dean of Medicine on behalf of the graduates of the Polish School of Medicine in 1996 as a gift to mark the 55th anniversary of the founding of the Polish School of Medicine.
The set, which is decorated with famous Warsaw landmarks on a green background and a gold leaf free form line design, was made by the Polish artist, Josef Mlynarski (1925 - 1984).
Josef Mlynarski was born in 1925 and studied at the Academy of fine Art in Krakow and then in the Institute of Fine Art in Leningrad in the early 1950s. He then took up a post as a lecturer in the Academy of Fine Art in Warsaw.
In 1965, with the aid of a Ministry of Culture Scholarship he studied in Paris. He held a number of ‘one-man’ shows in Warsaw in the late 1950s-mid 1960s. He has exhibited in many centres including Edinburgh, winning prizes and commendations in several countries in the 1960s and 70s. He and his wife also developed an interest in ceramics and produced the most delicate and beautifully painted porcelain pieces, including vases and tea services.
Mlynarski died on 27th April 1984.
The Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh holds a set of his etchings entitled ‘Warsaw Uprising 1944’.