Operational Research (OR) uses mathematical techniques to tackle real-life decision problems. Management Science, Decision Sciences, and Operations Management are all part of Operational Research, which is also known as Operations Research.
What can OR do?
Operational Research can take on real-life decision problems such as:
- Schedule planes/crews and decide seat prices
- Route internet calls and allocate mobile phone frequencies
- Derive a feasible production plan and optimize the storage and distribution of produce
- Manage a portfolio of shares and minimize its risk
- Optimize the development of an oil field
- Plan the operation of a hospital blood bank
Why Operational Research MSc?
You will enjoy Operational Research if you like solving practical quantitative problems and seeing the solutions implemented. By studying Operational Research you will develop a valuable combination of mathematical, modelling, analytical, computing, interpersonal and communication skills.
An Operational Research MSc provides
- an ideal background for a career in industry (e.g., consulting, banking, finance, logistics, energy, airline, telecom) and
- strong foundations for further studies and research.
Our students come from diverse backgrounds such as mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, engineering, economics and other quantitative disciplines.
The OR MSc Programme has funding from the School of Mathematics to encourage the best UK and EU students to study Operational Research. Note that there is no need to apply separately for this funding.
Well qualified UK and EU applicants can expect to be offered funding covering some or all of their course fees. Prospective students with UK first class degrees or overseas equivalent classificaitons can expect such an offer unless we have too many, in which case absolute performance and any further study or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration. Depending on the number and quality of applications, lower levels of funding may be offered to less well qualified applicants.
University of Edinburgh is a world-class university. The Edinburgh OR MSc is an intensive one year programme with selected courses delivered by industry professionals. Our programme is flexible, offering specialization in
We offer opportunities to pursue an industry or government summer dissertation project. The city of Edinburgh is
- the historic capital of Scotland
- an amazing place to live and study
- a major banking and financial centre.