The skills that you will develop by studying for the OR MSc are very valuable in a wide range of career paths.
Career paths following the OR MSc can include:
- OR consultancy firms, for example Capgemini
- Big companies with OR groups, for example British Airways
- Banks, for example Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland
- Smaller companies who use specific OR skills, for example Moody's
- Public sector organisations, for example HM Revenue & Customs, National Health Service within the Government Operational Research Service (GORS)
- Academic careers
There is a lot of information on careers in OR to be found on the website of the OR Society.
Summer Project Placements with Industry
A summer project leading to a dissertation is an integral part of all our programmes and all students will have an opportunity to secure a summer placement with a company in which they will work on an OR project relevant to their degree specialization. Several of these projects each year lead to an offer of employment. This practical experience sets our students apart and makes them very attractive on the job market. In particular, students may benefit from our close links with the Scottish Financial Risk Academy (SFRA) who provide the opportunity for some of our best students to work on summer projects with the financial services companies who constitute the SFRA full membership.
OR MSc Graduates
To learn about some of the exciting careers that Edinburgh OR MSc graduates have gone on to, have a look through some of our Student Stories.