Edinburgh Local


It’s important to make sure that appropriate insurance is in place to cover your work in the community.

The University’s Insurance Office arranges a range of cover on behalf of the University. This cover is for University staff and students, as well as third parties and volunteers acting on behalf of the University, and includes negligence and professional indemnity.

Relevant University insurance policies


As an example, if you are a member of staff or a student undertaking a school or public event under your University of Edinburgh affiliation, you will be automatically covered by the University’s policies. The most relevant policies will be the Employer’s Liability and Public Liability policies.

If you are working with a freelancer, make sure that they either have their own relevant insurance, or are covered by the University’s insurance for the purposes of your activities.