Aims and outcomes
Our MSc in Advanced Arabic will develop your language skills to a level where you can use Arabic in any academic or professional capacity where fluency is a requirement. Likely career paths for graduates from the course include literary or spoken translation, government, media or NGO roles, and academia.
By the end of the programme you will have:
- Further developed your ability to speak, write and communicate at a high level in Modern Standard Arabic
- Obtained an in-depth understanding of current Media Arabic
- Obtained a thorough knowledge of the Spoken Arabic of Egypt or the Levant.
- Fully understood the concept of Diglossia and Multiglossia and how this applies to Arabic
- Developed your research and writing skills on an extended research project relating to Arabic and the Arab World
- Developed a good knowledge of modern Arabic literary texts
- Reinforced your skills in translation, interpreting and critical analysis in English and Arabic.
The MSc is both a professional and an academic qualification, providing you with a solid linguistic and research foundation. The language skills you gain will prepare you to use your Arabic in a professional capacity, such as in business, diplomacy, the media, NGOs or other international organisations, or to embark on an academic career in which Arabic is a key language.