College Research Awards for the School of Literature, Languages and Cultures.
The College Research Student Awards scheme is designed to attract high quality students applying for PhD research.
There are a limited number of awards offered within the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures that cover a combination of home/EU tuition fees and studentships (tuition fees + stipend)
A successful non-EU/overseas applicant may be liable for the difference between the UK/EU and overseas tuition fee rate each year.
The Scholarship will be Subject to satisfactory progress and awarded for a maximum of three years.
The award is open to UK, EU and overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2020-21.
Only those with the highest standard of academic qualifications can be successful, as these awards are extremely competitive. For example, there are usually over 30 applicants for each award.
When making our decisions we will:
- Consider the applicant’s academic achievements, research proposal, research potential, any publications made, and the degree of support provided by references.
- Not take into account factors such as financial status and nationality.
When applying for these awards candidates must:
- Be seeking to start their first year of full-time or part-time PhD study (not MSc by Research) in the academic year September 2020.
- Be of outstanding academic merit and research potential.
- Include in their personal statements reference to achievements made and their own assessment of their future potential.
- Be strongly supported by the references given in support of their PhD application.
- Send us their completed award applications no later than the deadline date of 3rd February 2020. Any part-completed applications received will be discounted and become ineligible at that time. We cannot accept any additional supporting information after the deadline date.
- Note that the research proposal need not be overly long and, provided that it contains the key information, brevity is welcome.
- Note that, when started, the on-line award application must be completed – there is no facility to save a partly-completed application.
- Note that if College research award candidates are applying to study topics eligible for UK Research Council Awards then they must also apply to the relevant Research Council.
Eligible applicants should complete an online application form. The deadline for the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures is 3rd of February.
The online scholarship application form is located in EUCLID and can be accessed by eligible applicants via MyEd, our web based information portal, at https://www.myed.ed.ac.uk. If you are eligible, you should be able to choose "College Research Award" from the list of options. Please note that you will not be able to access the online application form unless you have applied for admission to the University of Edinburgh and have full EASE authentication.
We expect to notify candidates of the outcome of their application by May 20.