PhD Scholarship in Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies at Edinburgh
The Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh is delighted to invite applications for one PhD scholarship in any area within its expertise.
The scholarship will be funded by IMES and will cover tuition fees for the PhD in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
Applications for both the Scholarship and the PhD must be made by 12th December 2018.
Applications for the PhD can be made via the online admissions portal at the url address given below.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to Professor Andrew Newman:
The award will cover:
- The tuition fee
- Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of three years.
The award is open to UK, EU and overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2019-2020s.
Only applications to year one of a PhD programme of study will be considered.
Among the areas of supervision we cover are:
- Language and Literature: classical Arabic literature; classical Persian literature; historiography, especially pre-Islamic Iran in Arabic and Persian sources; cultural transmission, especially between Arabic and Persian cultures; translation, especially between Arabic and Persian in Classical period;
- History: Ottoman history, Islam in the Ottoman Empire, Iraqi and Iranian pre-islamic and modern history and politics; history of modern Egypt, especially its foreign communities;
- Contemporary Muslim politics: Islamism, social movements, democratization, authoritarianism, comparative social and political change in the Muslim world, including North Africa;
- Arts and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim societies: particularly visual arts, Cinema
- Gender and sexuality in the MENA region: femininity and masculinity; contemporary Arab media;
- Early Islam: including Qur’an and tafsir, hadith, the biography of Muhammad and method and theory in the study of early Islam;
- Shi`ism: Shi`i history and contemporary Shi'ism.
The deadline for the application is 12th December 2018.
Applications should be emailed to: