PhD Scholarship in Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies at Edinburgh
The Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh is delighted to invite applications for one PhD scholarship in any area within its expertise.
The scholarship will be funded by IMES and will cover tuition fees for the PhD in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
Applications for both the Scholarship and the PhD must be made by 14th February 2020.
Applications for the PhD can be made via the online admissions portal at the url address given below.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to Dr Andreas Görke.
The award will cover:
- The tuition fee
- Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of three years.
The award is open to UK, EU and overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2020-2021.
Only applications to year one of a PhD programme of study will be considered.
Among the areas of supervision we cover are:
- Language and literature: classical and modern Arabic literature; classical Persian literature; cultural transmission and translation between Arabic and Persian cultures
- History and historiography: pre-Islamic Iran, early Islamic history, Ottoman history, modern history and politics, in particular Iraq, Iran, and Egypt
- Early and classical Islam, Qur’an and tafsir, hadith, the biography of Muhammad; Sufism; Islam in the Ottoman Empire
- Contemporary Muslim politics: Islamism, social movements, comparative social and political change in the Muslim world
- Arts and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim societies: particularly visual arts, Cinema
- Gender and sexuality in the MENA region; contemporary Arab media;
- Shi`ism: Shi`i history and contemporary Shi'ism.
Applying for the Scholarship
Please use the application form below to apply for the scholarship, the deadline for the application is 14th February 2020.
The funding application should be emailed to: