Postgraduate study

Student letters

Information about the types of letters provided by the Graduate School to students.

Student status letters

The Graduate School can provide you with student status letters that confirm your programme of study and the dates of your study. You may need one of these letters for accommodation purposes, funding opportunities or for applying for further study.

Statement of marks

The Graduate School can also provide you with an unofficial statement of marks that lists the courses you are enrolled in, as well as any provisional marks that you may have achieved. You may need one of these statements if you have to report your academic progress to your sponsor or if you are applying for further study outside of the University of Edinburgh.

Should you require either of these letters and you are a postgraduate student in the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures, please email us at including your name, matriculation number and your programme of study. Please try to request these letters as far in advance as possible.

Mature students railcard

You can apply for a 16-25 Railcard if you're 26 or over and in full time study. The Graduate School can also sign and stamp application forms for these cards to confirm your study status.

Letters provided by the University

Bank introduction letter

To assist you to open a bank account, by providing proof of your accommodation in Edinburgh, the University can provide you with a Bank Introduction letter.

Bank introduction letter

Council Tax exemption certificate

Submit a form to Academic Registry to request a certificate of student status, which can be used to claim exemption from Council Tax.

Council Tax exemption certificate

Funding forms

If you receive funding for your study and are required to have a form authorised by the University, you should take this directly to the University's Scholarships and Student Funding Service.