Postgraduate study


At the University of Edinburgh, we are committed to providing an excellent education and high quality services to our students from enrolment to graduation. We value complaints and use information learnt from them to help us improve the student experience.

If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with what we are providing, please tell us - you should feel free to raise matters of concern without risk of disadvantage.

You can complain in person, by phone, in writing, or by email. It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you raise them as soon as you become aware of the issue.

In the first instance, please talk to either the relevant course organiser or your programme director (PGT) or supervisor (PGR) so that they can try to resolve any problems on the spot. You must also inform the Graduate School office of any complaint. You are also welcome to raise any complaints with the School's Postgraduate Director or Deptuty Postgraduate Director, but you are encouraged to first talk to staff at course and programme level.

Where possible we can best handle your complaint if you tell us the following:

  • your full name and address and matriculation number
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong
  • how you would like us to resolve the matter

Under certain circumstances the School may be able to treat the complaint anonymously.

Once a complaint has been made, the University's procedure can involve up to two stages and adheres, as far as possible, to a specified timescale.

Complaint procedure

For more detailed information on the complaints procedure please consult the University's dedicated webpage.

Complaint procedure

The Advice Place

We strongly encourage any student considering making a complaint to consult the Advice Place, which is an independent service run by the Students’ Association, EUSA, and staffed by professional advisers with experience of supporting students with complaints.

The Advice Place