Postgraduate study

Academic support

There is a wealth of academic support available to you during your time here at the University of Edinburgh.

Programme Director, Personal Tutor or Supervisor

Your programme director or personal tutor (PGT) or supervisor (PGR) should be your first point of contact for academic support regarding your programme of study. They are best placed to offer you advice on such things as option course choices and potential topics for dissertation. You can meet with them in person during their office hours or contact them by email to set up an appointment.

Institute for Academic Development

The Institute for Academic Development is a University-wide service that aims to help students and staff succeed in their current roles and in their future careers. They provide University-level support for teaching, learning and researcher development.

Their website outlines the range of events, courses and resources on offer to you as a University of Edinburgh student. These are usually free and places on courses can be booked through the MyEd Event Booking channel.

The IAD can also provide you with study advice as well as opportunities for career development.

English Language Teaching Centre

The English Language Teaching Centre at the Office of Lifelong Learning have over 30 years' experience in providing a wide range of academic and specialist English courses for international students and teachers.

Their wide range of courses are designed and developed by academic staff who are closely involved in course direction and classroom teaching.

Students who feel that they need extra support with their English Language level are encouraged to contact the centre.