Postgraduate study

Concessions (Interruptions and Extensions)

Information on applying for Interruptions of Study, Extensions and Leave of Absence.

Interruptions of Study

What to do if you are unable to study for a period of time and need an Authorised Interruption of Study (AIS).


An extension to a student’s period of study is exceptional and a strong case is required before an extension will be considered.

Leave of absence

Postgraduate students may apply for leave to move away from their normal (semester time) residence to continue their studies for temporary periods at a more remote location.

Leave of absence

Supporting distressed students

The university has produced a guide for staff who need to help distressed students.

Supporting students

Concessions application system

All concessions must be submitted by the supervisor using the online system.  Please contact the Graduate School office if further information needed.