Postgraduate study

Interruption of study

Where a student is temporarily unable to engage with their studies, they may apply for an Authorised Interruption of Study.

If you are temporarily unable to engage with your studies, you can apply for an authorised interruption of study. An interruption of study involves taking a complete break from study for an agreed period of time, usually for up to one academic year. Please note that supporting evidence (such as a personal statement, medical letters and/or third party statements) may be required. 

Students wishing to undertake their studies away from Edinburgh for a given period of time should contact their School regarding taking a Leave of Absence (this does not apply to students on online programmes).

For helpful guidance on taking an AIS - including financial and visa implications - pleaes visit the Academic Life webpage on AIS. Please note that the application details on that page do not apply to students in LLC; please see the application information below for AIS in the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures.

Academic Life - Authorised Interruption of Studies Guidance 


If you wish to apply for an AIS, you should get in touch with the School's Student Support Office as soon as possible, as the applicatoin procedure for the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures is different than the advice provided by Academic Life. Please note that interruptions cannot be granted retrospectively. 

During the period of absence, it is your responsibility to provide a current postal contact address and to ensure that any legal requirements imposed by your funding or grant authority are met. You must also check your University email account regularly for communications from the University.

If you are struggling with personal and/or academic issues, it is vital that you contact the Student Support Office as soon as possible.

Student Support Office

  • School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures

Contact details



Room 1.10
50 George Square

Post Code