Choose from seven single honours degrees, and over 100 joint honours degrees, in a University ranked 3rd in the UK for Modern Languages in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022.
Your learning at a glance
- You can study nine European languages to degree level with us: French; Danish; German; Italian; Portuguese; Norwegian; Russian; Spanish; and Swedish. You can take them as single honours degrees, or jointly with one of a wide range of other subjects (both languages and non-languages).
- You’ll complete a four-year MA honours degree, with your third year typically spent in full, or in part, in a country relevant to your chosen language(s). This is an excellent way to turn classroom learning into lived experience.
- You’ll study your chosen language(s) and culture(s) across a range of periods and disciplines, with options in, for example, film, literature, politics and history. Whether you do single or joint honours, you’ll engage with a broad range of subjects in your first two years, and specialise thereafter.
- You’ll be part of a large community of language learners in a School with lots going on in European Languages and Cultures, from its own creative writing magazine to film screenings and student-led plays.
- You’ll typically be based at the heart of the University of Edinburgh, in the city’s historic centre, close to the Main University Library and the National Library of Scotland.
What can I study?
Single and joint honours degrees in French
Single and joint honours degrees in German
Single and joint honours degrees in Italian
Single and joint honours degrees in Portuguese
Single and joint honours degrees in Russian
Single and joint honours degrees in Scandinavian Studies: Danish, Norwegian, Swedish
Single and joint honours degrees in Spanish
QS World Rankings by Subject 2022
The University of Edinburgh is ranked 3rd in the UK for Modern Languages.
We are also 3rd in the UK in the broad subject area of Arts & Humanities.
Globally, we place in the World Top 10, at 9th for Arts & Humanities and 10th for Modern Languages.
The Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings are based on the results of major global surveys of employers and academics, as well as research citations.
They are International Ranking Expert Group (IREG) approved.
Get to know us better
Thinking of joining us this year or next? Explore what it's like to study and live in Edinburgh.
- Take a Virtual Visit - European Languages and Cultures
- Look inside 50 George Square
- Join us for an Open Day or Online Information Session