Literatures, Languages & Cultures

Practical advice and administrative support

We understand that university can pose practical problems for our students, and we have measures in place to help you resolve any issues that could arise during your period of study.

What should I do if…

I am a new student?

If you are a new first year student you must meet with your Personal Tutor and he/she will enrol you on your courses, confirm your attendance and check your timetable to ensure you have no clashes.

You will find the following webpages full of useful information:

University New Student webpage

If there is anything you are unsure of or wish to ask, please get in touch - we are here to help.

I am a returning student?

The process for confirming your attendance is similar to new students but in addition to the steps outlined above, your personal tutor will check  that you plan to take the correct courses for the current year. Your Personal Tutor will also check that you have achieved all necessary credits for the past year. If credits are missing, you will be referred to the Student Support Team. Such cases may be rectified simply by enrolling for additional credits or by raising a concession (with permission from LLC Senior Tutor) or, in some cases, by applying to repeat a year on a full or part-time basis.

Third and fourth year students are required to meet with their PT at the beginning of each semester. Third Year Students currently on their Compulsory Year Abroad will be contacted and matriculated by the UG Teaching Organisation.

I need information on matriculation?

Please contact Academic Administration if you have any questions about the matriculation process:

I don't know which outside subject(s) to choose?

Many students do not anticipate taking outside subjects and find it difficult to decide what to study. Your personal tutor will be able to provide academic advice. Most degree programmes offer a free choice in the first year but you should read the degree programme table (DPT) carefully as some programmes will restrict the schedules from which a student can choose. You may find it useful to attend the Academic Fair held during Welcome Week.

Please also be aware that some DPTs require you to continue your outside subject into your second year.

As a rule however, there are certain courses which are more difficult to take as outside subjects due to course quotas and limited spaces. These include English Literature 1, Spanish 1A and some Politics and Psychology courses. Information on how to obtain a place on these courses should be available on MyEd but if you are in any doubt, please visit the relevant Teaching Office for advice. We do not recommend language students take a third language as their outside subject.

I was not here for Welcome Week?

First year students must contact Academic Administration as soon as possible to confirm matriculation. You must also contact either your Personal Tutor or the Student Support Team, who will be able to confirm your attendance and ensure you are registered on the correct courses.

I need a letter confirming that I am a student?

The Student Support Team can provide confirmation of status letters for many organisations/circumstances including letting agents. Please complete a LLC Letter Request Form and bring to the Student Support Office in Room 1.10, 50 George Square or e-mail it to us. Please allow 48 hours for processing.

I need an academic reference?

Please contact your Personal tutor who will be able to provide you with an academic reference upon request.

I need information on my year abroad?

Please visit your subject area teaching office; they will be able to give you advice and information on your year abroad.

I want to make a complaint?

The University aims to ensure that teaching, support services and student union activities provide positive experiences and opportunities for all students.

To achieve this aim it is important that we know what is and is not working. We endeavour to listen to concerns and to ensure thay are dealt with appropriately.

You can complain in person, by phone, in writing, or by email. It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you raise them as soon as you become aware of the issue, and directly to the service concerned. Please talk to a member of staff within the department you are complaining about so that they can try to resolve any problems on the spot.

I have financial problems?

You MUST contact the Finance Department at the earliest opportunity if you are having difficuly paying your fees in order to find a solution. Further support is available from the EUSA advice Place. The Advice Place will also be able to offer guidance on applying for hardship funds.

I have a problem with my University accommodation?

Whether you are experienced at living independently or are taking the plunge for the first time, the University Accommodation service are on hand to offer advice and residential support. There is a wealth of information available on their website at:

I need careers advice?

The Careers Service offer confidential and impartial advice to undergraduates on a variety of topics including career planning and advice and guidance on application and interview techniques.

Email the careers service

I have computer problems?

Visit the Information Services Helpdesk on the ground floor, Main Library, George Square.

Alternatively,  e-mail or visit the help webform webpages for further information and contact details:

I need childcare?

Please see the following Website for details of the University's nursery facilities and available support.

I am an international student?

Edinburgh Global offers a central point for all non-UK students to go to for assistance, advice and support.

The International Student Centre is managed by international student volunteers and provides a resource for international students in the central University area.

If your question has not been answered, please check our other sections: