Choose from four-year degrees in Chinese and Japanese in a University ranked fourth for East & South Asian Studies in The Complete University Guide - Subject League Table 2021, and 13th for Modern Languages in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021.
Your learning at a glance
- You can study either Chinese or Japanese to degree level with us. You can take each subject as a single honours degree, take a joint honours degree in Japanese and Linguistics, or choose from a wide range of Chinese joint honours programmes.
- You’ll complete a four-year Master of Arts (MA) degree, with your third year typically spent in full, or in part, in a country relevant to your chosen language. This is an excellent way to turn classroom learning into lived experience.
- You’ll study your chosen language and culture across a range of periods and disciplines, with options in, for example, film, literature, politics and history. Whether you do single or joint honours, you’ll engage with a broad range of subjects in your first two years, and specialise thereafter.
- You’ll be part of a large community of language learners in a School with lots going on in Asian Studies.
- You’ll typically be based at the heart of the University of Edinburgh, in the city’s historic centre, close to the Main University Library and the National Library of Scotland.
Specialising in teaching students with little or no prior knowledge of the language, Edinburgh is the only university in Scotland to offer both single and joint honours undergraduate honours programmes in Chinese. You will learn to read, write and speak modern standard Chinese while exploring Chinese and East Asian history, literature, culture, politics and international relations - past and present.
Edinburgh is the only university in Scotland to offer undergraduate honours degrees in Japanese, enabling you to learn the language in the context of Japan’s history, politics, international relations, literature, theatre, cinema, and religion, past and present. Offering a single honours programme, and a joint honours degree with Linguistics, we are also one of the few programmes in the UK to offer a degree in Japanese Studies with integrated course offerings on China and Korea.
Thinking of joining us this year or next? Take a virtual tour and explore what it's like to study and live in Edinburgh through vlogs, photos, and more.
If you're holding an offer to start studying with us in September 2021, keep an eye on your email for details of our offer holder events, and check out our Offer Holder Hub.
Where to next?