Choose from a range of four-year MA honours degrees in Chinese and Japanese.
Your learning at a glance
- You can study either Chinese or Japanese to degree level with us. You can take each subject as a single honours degree, take a joint honours degree in Japanese and Linguistics, or choose from a wide range of Chinese joint honours programmes.
- You’ll complete a four-year Master of Arts (MA) degree, with your third year typically spent in full, or in part, in a country relevant to your chosen language. This is an excellent way to turn classroom learning into lived experience.
- You’ll study your chosen language and culture across a range of periods and disciplines, with options in, for example, film, literature, politics and history. Whether you do single or joint honours, you’ll engage with a broad range of subjects in your first two years, and specialise thereafter.
- You’ll be part of a large community of language learners in Asian Studies and the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures.
- You’ll typically be based at the heart of the University of Edinburgh, in the city’s historic centre, close to the Main University Library and the National Library of Scotland.
Undergraduate study | Chinese
Undergraduate study | Japanese
Get to know us better
- Take a Virtual Visit - Asian Studies (Undergraduate)
- Look inside 50 George Square
- Join us for an Open Day or Online Information Session
Talk to a current student
QS World Rankings by Subject 2023
The University of Edinburgh is ranked 3rd in the UK for Modern Languages.
We are also 3rd in the UK in the broad subject area of Arts & Humanities.
Globally, we’re in the World Top 10 for Modern Languages (7) and Arts & Humanities (10).
The Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings are based on research citations and the results of major global surveys of employers and academics.
They are International Ranking Expert Group (IREG) approved.
The Complete University Guide
The University of Edinburgh is ranked fourth for Asian Studies in The Complete University Guide - Subject League Table 2024.
The Complete University Guide ranks the best 130 universities in the UK in 74 subject areas.
Where to next?