British Association for Islamic Studies
The Alwaleed Centre is the Management Hub for the UK's only Islamic Studies learned society.
A part of its role as a leading UK academic centre for the study of Islam, the Alwaleed Centre supports the management and development of the British Association for Islamic Studies (BRAIS). As BRAIS's Management Hub, the Alwaleed Centre oversees the delivery of the Association's Annual Conference as well as ensuring the Association responds to the diverse needs of its members.
Founded in 2013, BRAIS is a learned society and professional organisation focused on enhancing research and teaching about Islam and Muslim cultures and societies in UK higher education.
The association provides a forum for academic exchange for scholars with an interest in any aspect of Islam and the Muslim world (including non-Muslim majority societies), and acts as an umbrella organisation for members working in a wide range of disciplines and geographical interest areas.
BRAIS works with research councils and other bodies to represent the interests of Islamic Studies on research matters in UK higher education, and with the Higher Education Academy to enhance teaching and learning in Islamic Studies. It also maintains and encourages relationships with providers of HE-level Islamic Studies outside of publicly-funded UK higher education.
The main objectives of the association are:
- to encourage and enhance scholarly exchange, co-operation and output by hosting a regular conference for Islamic Studies academics;
- to host Special Interest Groups and Research Networks that will meet both alongside the conference and separately to focus on topics of specific interest to members (e.g. Islamic Law, Muslims in Britain, Islamic Business and related areas, Islamic Education);
- to support the early career development of PhD students by sponsoring conference bursaries, essay competitions and other activity;
- to facilitate exchange and partnerships between publicly-funded Higher Education Institutions and private providers of HE-level Islamic Studies;
- to maintain an online presence and resource centre for Islamic Studies, including publishing a newsletter and work in progress bulletin, hosting a variety of resources for teaching and research, and encouraging online exchange through mailing lists and other fora.
You can find further information on the BRAIS website: www.brais.ac.uk.
BRAIS 2023 Annual conference at the Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, Aga Khan University, London
The Alwaleed Centre is delighted to be hosting the BRAIS 2022 Annual Conference on Monday 15th and Tuesday 16th May 2023.
The Call for Papers has now been published and can be viewed HERE.