Living Islam Photography Competition
Calling all photographers! The Alwaleed Centre has launched a unique competition which hopes to inspire creative interpretations of the theme 'Living Islam'. The competition is open to anyone living in the UK and cash prizes will be awarded to the top three photographs.
Following the success of our 'Islam in Scotland' photography competition back in 2012, the Alwaleed Centre now invites photographers from across the UK to participate in our 2016 competition.
Whether you are a professional or an amateur photographer, we invite you to submit up to two photographs which speak to this year's competition theme 'Living Islam'. This could be through people, places or objects – through living Islam yourself or experiencing Islam through others. Whatever your motivation, we look forward to seeing the many ways in which ‘Living Islam’ is interpreted and we hope to display many of the photographs as part of a touring exhibition in 2017.
There are three cash prizes to be won. The competition winner will receive £300, with second place receiving £200 and third place receiving £100.
The competition will be judged by our expert panel:
- Fabio Mosacatelli - professional photographer whose photograph is featured above.
- Dr Khadijah Elshayyal - Postdoctoral Fellow at the Alwaleed Centre with expertise in British Muslim identity politics.
- Dr Michael Munnik - former journalist and now Lecturer at the Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK (Cardiff University).
Entrants can submit up to TWO photographs for consideration by our panel. Only one photograph from each entrant will be eligable for a cash prize.
Photographs should be submitted via email along with a submission form to: email@example.com.
The deadline for submissions is midnight on Friday 30th September 2016.
Please read the full terms and conditions below very carefully before submitting your photographs.
If you have any questions whatsoever about the competition, please contact the Competition Coordinator, Lilly Jenkins: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Competition Terms and Conditions
COMPETITION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
- A maximum of two photographs may be submitted per person. However, only one cash prize will be awarded per individual.
- The deadline for submissions is midnight on Friday 30th September 2016. Entries received after this deadline will not be considered by the panel.
- No third party entries, bulk entries or entries submitted by agents will be accepted.
- We cannot be held responsible for entries which are lost or corrupted nor for any entries to the competition which the University of Edinburgh (UoE) does not receive as a result of any technical error, however caused. In addition UoE cannot accept any liability for any difficulties experienced in submitting an entry. Proof of entry or submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt.
- Photographs must be at least 1800 x 1200 pixels to be considered and they must be saved in a JPEG format. Photographs which are not submitted in this format may not be accepted.
- Any photographs submitted must be the entrant’s own. If it is discovered that a photograph submitted for this competition is not the original work of the entrant, then the photograph will be disqualified. If prize money has been awarded for a photograph which is later discovered to not be the original work of the entrant, the UoE reserves the right to reclaim the prize money.
- By entering a photograph into this competition, entrants agree that the photograph may be used by the UoE for online promotion, social media, PR, marketing and exhibitions.
- Selected entries may be reproduced in various publications and outlets to promote the work of UoE.
- The successful entries may be displayed indefinitely on a UoE website.
- UoE reserves the right to display all the successful images on their website and archive for an indefinite period unless the entrant requests otherwise. The photographer will be credited whenever the work is published or displayed.
- No copyright is transferred to UoE in respect of any works entered or accepted.
- UoE reserves the right to reject any photographs it deems to be either obscene or inappropriate.
- Prior to submitting a photograph of any identifiable individual, entrants should obtain the written consent of such person and advise them of the purpose of the submission.
- This competition is open to anyone living in the UK.
- Entrants must be living in the UK at the time their photographs are submitted.
- The competition is not open to employees of The Alwaleed Centre (or to members of their immediate families), but it is open to UoE students and to other UoE members of staff.
- There are no age limits for entrants.
SELECTION OF WINNERS:
- The cash prizes will be as follows: 1st prize will win £300, 2nd prize will win £200 and 3rd prize will win £100. These amounts will be transferred to each individual winner by bank transfer only. If one of your photographs is selected for any of the three prize categories, we will contact you separately for you to provide us with your bank details.
- If you win one of the three cash prizes available, we will notify you by e-mail (if you have provided us with it).
- Winners will be notified up to one calendar month after the closing date of the competition.
- If you fail to claim your prize by the time specified we reserve the right to offer the prize to another competition entrant.
- The UoE reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- In all matters, the UoE’s decision will be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into with any entrant or third party regarding the process or details of any decision.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
- We cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred by you in entering the competition (whether or not such entry is successful) or in relation to you taking part in the competition.
- For the avoidance of doubt, UoE will not be liable to you, in contract, tort (including, without limitation, negligence) or otherwise in connection with the competition for:
- Loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings or loss of data.
- Any loss of goodwill or reputation.
- Any special or indirect or consequential losses; however caused.
- We will not be liable for any damages or losses as a result of failure by UoE to deliver the competition, the prize or any other prizes as a result of any circumstances outside of UoE’s direct and reasonable control.
- These Terms and Conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with Scottish law and any dispute arising from them shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.