Guide to 50 George Square
50 George Square is the recently-renovated home of many departments, and much of the teaching, in the School of Literatures, Languages & Cultures.
Building Opening Hours
During Teaching Weeks: 8.00am - 9.30pm
Outwith Teaching Weeks: 8.00am - 5.30pm
Please note that LLC staff and postgraduate students are the only people who have access to 50 George Square outside standard building opening hours.
Undergraduate students, and non-LLC staff and students, will not be permitted access. The Main Library (just across George Square) is open all day.
If you are a postgraduate student, you'll need your student card and PIN number to access the building, and the rooms you wish to use, outside standard building opening hours.
Lower Ground Floor
- Students’ Association Café and Shop
- Teaching Rooms
- Main Reception Desk: 0131 651 5984
- Teaching Rooms: G.01; G.02; G.05; G.06
- Lecture Theatre: G.03
- Screening Room: G.04
- Toilets (these can be found on each floor)
- Computing Labs: 1.01 and 1.02
- Study Resource Centre (incorporating Room 1.04)
- Project Room: 1.06
- Undergraduate Teaching Office: Rooms 1.07 - 1.08. This is the Undergraduate Teaching Office for Asian Studies, Celtic and Scottish Studies, English and Scottish Literature, and European Languages and Cultures. The Undergraduate Teaching Office for Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies is based in 19 George Square.
- Postgraduate Office: Room 1.13
- Student Support Office: Room 1.10
- Postgraduate Study Room
- Academic Staff for English Literature
- Teaching Rooms: 2.03; 2.13; 2.14; 2.29; 2.30; 2.39; 2.54
- Academic Staff for European Languages and Cultures (DELC)
- Portuguese Centre
- Teaching Rooms: 3.03; 3.13; 3.14; 3.29; 3.30; 3.39; 3.54
- School Offices
- Academic Staff for: Asian Studies; Celtic & Scottish Studies; Translation Studies; Film Studies; Film, Exhibition and Curation
- Postgraduate Study Room
There are breakout areas for use by all staff and students situated on Floors 1 - 4.
There are also “pods” which staff and students may use - with a computer and hook-up points for laptops - situated on Floors 2 - 4.
Please make yourself aware of the nearest fire exit. If the fire alarm sounds continuously, you should leave by the nearest exit by following the signs.
On Floors 1 - 4, you should use the nearest protected stairway. If you are unable to use the stairs, please make your way to the refuge point in the protected stairway where an Emergency Voice Communication system is available for use during fire emergencies.