Free General English Courses for Displaced People
Guidance on how displaced people can take up the opportunity to take General English courses for free.
The Centre for Open Learning offers displaced persons the opportunity to take General English courses for free. These free places are available only for displaced people in Scotland, i.e. people from an area of instability or a zone of conflict who have refugee status, or indefinite leave to remain, are asylum seekers, or under humanitarian protection. This includes people from Ukraine, Syria, Afghanistan and Hong Kong. If you do not meet this criterion, please do not apply.
We offer three courses at Beginners and Elementary level in the mornings. These are exclusively for displaced persons.
We also offer two courses at Intermediate and Upper Intermediate level in the evenings. These courses are available for the wider public here but have places reserved for displaced persons.
Do you want to sign up?
If you would like to join one of our courses, please complete these 3 steps:
- Complete our self-assessment for General English by following this link here
Please note that it is very important that you answer honestly so we can identify your level of English and you can benefit from the most suitable course.
- Write down your current level
- Complete a short form to register for a free place
- Before you can complete the registration form, please, remember to do your self-assessment here.
- If the result of your self-assessment is lower than Intermediate Step 1, complete this form
If you have any questions about our English courses for displaced persons beforehand, please, contact Laura (email@example.com).
Please be aware of the following:
- You must be aged 16 years or over
- Please, complete the form only once
- This form is for one individual person to apply
- We can only offer a place to the person named on the form
- Placements will be given on a first come, first served basis
- We will email you to confirm your registration
If you have any further questions about the courses, please, contact Laura and Jeannette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to welcoming you to our English courses!