Obtaining Legal Support
How to find legal support at the University.
1. Obtaining general legal advice
If your query relates to research activities, the Roslin institute, procurement issues, freedom of information or data protection, please use the contact details in section 2 below in the first instance.
If you require legal advice in relation to a University matter (other than those set out above) and have worked with the Legal Services team previously, please contact the solicitor who has provided you with legal advice on previous occasions, who will either respond to your query or put you in touch with an alternative member of the Legal Services team where appropriate.
If you have not previously been provided advice by the Legal Services team, please contact us and we will allocate your request to an appropriate member of the Legal Services team.
Email Legal Services: email@example.com
Please note that Legal Services is not able to offer legal advice to members of staff or students on personal matters.
2. Contact details for specific queries
Legal advice related to academic collaborations
Guidance and templates for academic collaborations can be found on the wiki.
Legal advice related to research activities
If your query relates to:
- Clinical trials, confidentiality, material transfers, studentships and student assignations of intellectual property: Please contact the Research Support Office Contracts Team
- Email RSO Contracts team: RSO.Contracts@ed.ac.uk
- Grant applications (national, EU, international), grant agreements, research collaborations and associated contracts: Please contact the Research Support Office
- Inventions & IP, commercialising research, consultancy & services provided by the University, enterprise development and industry engagement: Please contact Edinburgh Innovations
Legal advice for the Roslin Institute
Clare Neilson and her team based at the Roslin Institute can provide legal assistance to any queries relating to the Roslin Institute. To obtain advice in relation to the Roslin Institute , please contact the legal team.
Email Roslin Legal: EBCampusLegal@ed.ac.uk
Legal advice related to procurement activities
For assistance with procurement related activities, including review of terms and conditions for the purchase of goods and/or services, please contact the University's Procurement Office in the first instance, which will engage specialised legal advice where appropriate.
Freedom of Information and Data Protection queries
Assistance and advice on all queries and requests in relation to Data Protection and Freedom of Information should be addressed to the University’s Records Management Department.