Legal Services

Requesting Legal Support and Advice

Who to contact for support and advice

If you  would like to discuss legal advice in relation to a University matter (other than those outlined below) and:

  • have not previously been provided advice by the Legal Services team, please contact us at and we will allocate your request to an appropriate  member of the team; or
  • have previoulsy been advised by a member of the Legal Services team , please contact that member of the team - they will either respond to your query, or put you in touch with an alternative member of the Legal Services team where appropriate.

Please note that Legal Services is unable to provide legal advice to staff regarding personal matters, nor are we able to provide legal advice to students.


Contact details for specific queries

Some matters are not dealt with by Legal Services, but by other specialist teams within the University who will often involve Legal Services as required.

If your query relates to any of the areas below, the associated teams will be the most appropriate first point of contact for further guidance and support.

Query Relevant Team
Matters relating to University governance and approvals

The Court Services team can advise on questions relating to University governance. Please contact Dr Lewis Allan, Head of Court Services, at 


Matters relating to research (other than industry-related research), studentships and grant applications and associated contracts


The Edinburgh Research Office, which can be contacted at

Inventions & IP, commercialising research, consultancy & services provided by the University, enterprise development and industry engagement


Edinburgh Innovations, which can be contacted at

The Roslin Institute


The dedicated legal team the Roslin Institute

Email the Roslin Institute:

Procurement related activities, including review of terms and conditions for the purchase of goods and/or services


The University Procurement office.

Freedom of information requests

Assistance and advice on all queries and requests in relation to Freedom of Information should be addressed to the University’s Records Management Department.

Records Management

Data Protection queries

The University’s Data Protection Office can assist with data protection issues.


Use of the University name and logo

The University’s Communications and Marketing Team provide extensive guidance and support on all matters relating to the University’s brand and logo.

Communications and Marketing

Consultancy services

Edinburgh Innovations Consultancy Office makes it easier for organisations to access the University’s academic expertise and state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. They provide extensive information on how to approach consultancy on their website. 

Edinburgh Innovations Consultancy Office

Land and Property

Any agreements involving land or property should be referred to the Estates Department in the first instance. 

Estates Department

International Partnerships

If you want to set up a partnership with non-UK universities, institutions or organisations, Edinburgh Global have created a partnership tool to help guide colleagues through the process.

Edinburgh Global


Academic Collaborations

You may find the policy, guidance and approval process described on the academic collaborations wiki helpful in directing you to the relevant team:

Academic collaborations wiki


Export Control

Queries relating to export control issues should be referred to the Edinburgh Research Office.

Edinburgh Research Office 

Deposit of new research outputs to PURE, electronic theses and dissertations, and making research outputs open access

The University's Scholarly Communications Team co-ordinates this. 

The University's Scholarly Communications Team