Induction: Get Connected Welcome Day
Get Connected: Welcome Day & Networking for New Research Staff and Academics.
The Get Connected day is an informal induction event for new research staff and academics, in all schools / colleges, who have recently joined the University. It’s also suitable for new post-docs who have previously done their doctoral studies at the University.
Aims of the event
Discover the support and resources available to you from around the University: Table discussions will focus on career development opportunities, applying for research funding, advice on engagement, impact and consultancy, information services, finance and developing teaching skills.
Meet other new colleagues from across the university: there are opportunities to network during breaks and as part of the table sessions.
Brush up on your networking skills - there will be a short session giving you tips on how to network effectively
Get a professional profile picture: a photographer attends this event, and participants can get a profile picture taken, if they wish.
Find out about PURE: The University of Edinburgh’s Research Information system
How to book to attend
Next date: TBC.
Our Get Connected Induction event will not happen in-person until it is safe to do so, but we are currently developing online support from this induction event to continue to support you in your new role at the University of Edinburgh.
Get Connected Online Guide: downloadable resource that covers the structure and content of the day and includes key information from the different support services around support and initiatives for researchers
Videos/Slides: In place of our talks / table sessions, we are developing a selection of short videos from presenters / table hosts involved in the day, around the support available for research and academic staff.
Welcome to Get Connected A short introduction to our Get Connected Research Staff Induction
- Video: IAD Get Connected welcome event intro
- A short introduction to IAD's Get Connected Research Staff Induction
An overview of the new Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers This video provides an overview of the new Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers. It explains what it is, when we signed and what it means to our researchers.
- Video: An overview: Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers
- This video provides an overview of the new Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers. It explains what it is, when we signed and what it means to our researchers.
A short guide to Networking for new Research Staff: This video provides highlights from the networking session we run as part of the Get Connected Research Staff Induction event
- Video: A short guide to Networking for new Research Staff
- This video provides highlights from the networking session we run as part of the Get Connected Research Staff Induction event
An Introduction to Pure
Professional Development hosted by: Institute for Academic Development and Learning and Organisational Development An overview of the professional development support available to you as a new researcher and as you progress in your career at the University of Edinburgh, from the Institute for Academic Development and HR.
- Video: IAD Get Connected - Professional Development Opportunities
- Short video on professional development opportunities from the IAD available for University of Edinburgh academic research staff
Learning & Teaching hosted by: Institute for Academic Development
- Video: IAD Intro L&T CPD Get Connected
- Introduction to CPD Framework for Learning and teaching at University of Edinburgh
Applying for grant funding at Edinburgh: our culture and the help that’s available hosted by: Edinburgh Research Office
- Video: ERO Applying for grant funding at Edinburgh
- Applying for grant funding at Edinburgh: our culture and the help that’s available from the Edinburgh Research Office (ERO)
Public and Community Engagement and Knowledge Exchange hosted by:
Beltane Public Engagement Network and the Department for Social Responsibility and Sustainability
Information Services hosted by:
Finance Department - Research Grants Section hosted by:
EI Consultancy hosted by:
Library Research Support hosted by:
Excellent day! Inspiring and provided so much information I would probably not know about it otherwise. Great selection of workshops, all being relevant for both early career and senior academics.
I really enjoyed the event and would like to say thanks for running it! I feel more confident about my ability to put together a grant proposal with such great support being available!
I enjoyed the whole morning, but especially the table discussions and the final talk.
I think it was a well organised, well structured event. I have learnt about how the University and people working in various positions can assist with teaching, applying for grants and public engagement activities.