How to network
Networking can feel intimidating but the easiest way to get started is to try it. Here is some advice to get you started.
Top tips for networking
- Start small: at the next event you attend, try to make at least one new connection
- Come prepared: obtain the attendee list and identify at least 2 people you would like to talk to beforehand
- Find a pro: watch and learn from someone you know is good at networking
- Use what you've got: your supervisor and peers will have networks you can tap into.
- Build rapport: find common interests to build a connection.
- How can you help: think about what you can do for others as much as what they can do for you.
- Remind yourself: write up a small note after the event about each person you met with information about your conversation.
- Follow up: get in touch as soon as you can after the event.
- Create opportunities: open the door to future correspondence when you follow up
- Be friendly: don't just talk about work all the time.
- Practice: use as many opportunities to build your network as you can
Other networking resources
Vitae provide further online advice on how to network effectively. You may need to register/log in with your ed.ac.uk email address to access this content on the Vitae website.