About the Principal’s Teaching Award Scheme
The Principal’s Teaching Award Scheme (PTAS) provides funding to support learning and teaching enhancement.
The PTAS is an annual scheme which aims to encourage and support activities that will make a significant contribution to the enhancement of learning and teaching at the University of Edinburgh, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
All staff with learning, teaching or student support roles are welcome to apply. You don't need any special expertise in educational projects and the IAD can provide advice and support on your bid. We particularly value bids that involve students in the collaborative team.
We gratefully acknowledge that all of the funding for the Principal's Teaching Award Scheme is provided by the University of Edinburgh Development Trust. Without this ongoing support we would not be able to fund these projects which do so much for the quality of the student learning experience at the University of Edinburgh. We would like to thank all of the donors who support the Development Trust.
The PTAS has been running since 2007, with annual funding of between £110,000 and £160,000. It offers staff at Edinburgh the opportunity to apply for grants for pedagogical or development projects aimed at enhancing teaching, learning or assessment practices.
The PTAS encourages better understanding of student learning through pedagogical innovation and research. It is not intended to reward past excellence in teaching.
The scheme aims to:
- encourage colleagues to explore new practice and innovations in teaching and thereby enhance student learning
- offer financial resources for staff to engage in inquiry into learning and teaching and share the results across subject areas and Schools
- disseminate good and/or innovative practice across the University and more widely
- promote and recognise excellence in teaching
- raise the status of teaching in the University
- enhance the quality of the student learning environment through discipline-based pedagogical inquiry and research capacity building
Further information and how to apply
Hear from some PTAS grant holders
A short video filmed at our 2013 PTAS Learning & Teaching Forum; PTAS grant holders plus forum attendees and speakers answer some questions about PTAS.