Action Fund regular grants
About the Action Fund regular grant scheme: what we can fund, how and when to apply. The regular grant scheme is now closed for AY 19/20.
Update June 20
The IAD Action Fund (including Festival of Creative Learning Pop-Ups) is not accepting applications for funding at the moment.
What you can apply for
You can apply for a maximum of £3000 to:
- Establish or develop a strategically important new and/or interdisciplinary network
- Develop initiatives to support academic communities within a discipline, School or subject area
- Run an innovative professional development activity/activities which would support groups of colleagues to develop skills in leadership, communication, networking, writing or other generic transferable skills
- Run a large or complex ‘Festival of Creative Learning Pop-up’ event. (More information on the Festival of Creative Learning Pop-ups.)
Example activities could include:
- Networking and community building events
- Writing retreats, idea generation workshops
- Online resources or events
- Symposiums, seminar series, masterclasses
- Career development activities
- Festival of Creative Learning events such as hackathons, sandpits and team competitions
More detailed information about what we will and won't fund is available on the Action Fund Guidance webpage. Please read this before submitting an application.
Who can apply?
- University of Edinburgh staff and University of Edinburgh students are eligible to apply to this scheme.
- Applications should be submitted by a team of at least two people. The period of the award applied for should be covered by the remaining length of study (students) or employment contract (staff) of the lead applicant. If the project is interdisciplinary, we would expect the applicant team to represent the relevant disciplines.
- Each application needs one lead applicant. This person will be the budget holder, the main point of contact for IAD, and responsible for submitting the evaluation form and financial summary at the end of August.
The application window for 19/20 is now closed.
If you have any questions about the fund or the application process, please get in touch with us:
Application review process - what happens next
- Your application will be reviewed by a panel of IAD staff.
- You will hear the outcome of your application (and receive funds if successful) by the end of November.
- Funds should be spent by 31st July, the end of the University financial year. This means you have from December – July to plan and deliver your project. If you want to further develop your project in a new academic year you can apply to the scheme again. However there is no guarantee you will receive additional funding.
- The final project evaluation and financial report should be submitted to the IAD by the end of August.