How to find us
Where we are, and how to find us.
Update on getting in touch with us - from 19th March 2020
We have made the decision to close the IAD office. IAD staff are continuing to work remotely and will continue to run provision online.
Please contact us by email in the first instance. Please note office phones will not be answered at this time.
Please do not visit the IAD building in person.
The IAD is situated in the basement level of 1 Morgan Lane, and in the Mezzanine of the new University Outreach Centre building on Holyrood Road.
Accessing 1 Morgan Lane – IAD main reception, administration offices and training room (Room B.09)
- Once on Holyrood Road, Morgan Lane is just along from the junction of Holyrood Road, St Marys' Street, The Cowgate and the Pleasance
- The top of Morgan Lane is across the road from Pibroch restaurant and the NCP car park entrance, and on the same side of the road and next to Gullan's Close and Holyrood 9A pub.
- Go down Morgan Lane and at the bottom turn right.
- The IAD main entrance is at the back of the building.
- The IAD offices are currently closed. Please do not attempt to access at this time.
Please enter instead via the Edinburgh Law School Diploma Office entrance at the front of the building on Holyrood Road. This is a wood-clad doorway. There is a lift from here that takes you down to the basement level (level -1). After exiting the lift, turn right and follow the corridors round to the IAD administration offices and training room (B.09).
Accessing the Outreach Centre Mezzanine IAD Offices
- Please enter through the main Outreach Centre ground-floor entrance (next to Levels café) on Holyrood Road. If you are a member of the University community you can hold your ID card to the card reader at the right-hand doors for access.
- External visitors - the receptionist will be able to let you in.
- Once in, turn left and go down one level to the IAD Mezzanine.
- Accessible entrance: once inside the main Outreach Centre entrance, there is a lift on the left that takes you down to the Mezzanine level (level M) and the teaching rooms (level -1)
Visitors in wheelchairs or with other mobility difficulties
There are lifts in both 1 Morgan Lane and the Outreach Centre that can take you to the offices and training / teaching rooms in the respective buildings. There are level-access accessible toilets in both locations. There is a corridor in the basement between the two buildings, however this joining corridor has two short sets of stairs (1 x 6 steps, 1 x 3 steps), so we advise that visitors check in advance which is the most appropriate doorway to enter.
If you have any questions about access please get in touch with us - contact details at the top of the page.
Travelling by bike
There are various options for cyclists to park their bikes in close proximity to the building.
There are 4 cycle racks providing parking for 8 bikes outside the IAD's Morgan Lane entrance at the rear of the building. There are also bike racks on the pavement at the front of the building, on Holyrood Road.
If you are a University staff member or student, the nearest secure and sheltered cycle store is outside the Centre for Sport and Exercise on the Pleasance (2-3 minutes walk). To use this store you need to ask the Centre for Sport and Exercise reception for access to be put onto your University Card.
Holyrood Road: Buses which pick up and drop off at bus stops right at the front of the building on Holyrood Road:
- Lothian Buses Service 6 (from Hanover Street to Holyrood Palace)
- Lothian Buses Service 60 (from Teviot to Holyrood Palace) stop right outside on Holyrood Road.
Royal Mile: Buses which pick up and drop off at bus stops on the Royal Mile:
- Lothian Buses Service 35 (from the Airport to Ocean Terminal)
South Bridge: Bus stops on South Bridge are a five minute walk from the building and are served by thirteen different Lothian Buses services:
- Lothian Bus Services 3, 5, 7, 8, 14, 29, 30, 31, 33, 37 and 49 buses. Plus services run by other operators.
You can plan your journey from anywhere within Edinburgh using the Lothian Buses website.
The IAD building is less than one mile from Edinburgh Waverley Station, around a 10 minute walk.
If you arrive at the airport, getting the 35 Lothian Buses service will take you to within a few minutes’ walk of the IAD building. The journey would take between 50 – 60 minutes by bus. The nearest 35 bus stop to the IAD is the stop on the Royal Mile just before the Story Telling Centre. Then walk down St Mary’s Street and then turn left on to Holyrood Road.
Alternatively, you can use the tram system to get to Princes Street (approx. 40 minutes) and then use any of the bus services listed above that take you to South Bridge. It is then just a few minutes’ walk to the IAD building.
Wherever you are, you can plan your journey from door to door using all means of public transport using the Traveline Scotland website.
Car sharing is an increasingly common and environmentally friendly way to make a trip. You can investigate the possibility of arranging your trip via the Liftshare website.
Travelling by taxi
If travelling to us by taxi, taxis can drop off outside the Law School Diploma Office or Outreach Centre entrances on Holyrood Road, or can travel down Morgan Lane and drop off outside the IAD reception at 1 Morgan Lane.