Technical Peer Group
The Technical Peer Group meets regularly to discuss technical issues surrounding the EdWeb centrally managed CMS, the EdWeb distribution, collaboration and sharing of best practise on web development, coding and other technical issues.
The group is a collaboration between Website Publishing and Applications Division and aims to include technical representatives from all schools and key support units. Members are interested in sharing best practice for all websites around the University including EdWeb central and the EdWeb distribution.
Previous topics have included:
- the work completed at our EdWeb code sprints
- DrupalCon and why you should go
- the University media service Media Hopper
- the work to build a community and collaborative development framework within the University
- using the EdGEL design framework
The peer group is chaired by Bruce Darby (Project Manager, UWP) and Mairi Fraser (Senior Developer, Applications Division).
Meeting minutes and supporting documents are made publicly available once approved - usually within four weeks.
The remit of the Technical Peer Group is to:
- ensure that all Schools have an awareness of the ongoing technical developments within the website project
- assist, where both possible and practicable, in developing identified technical solutions
- collaborate in identifying technical requirements to meet both current and future business objectives
- work together with the project team to help prioritise and deliver core functionality for use by all Schools and units.
The group is flexible about each member’s contribution, depending on their technical knowledge and available resource. Every member will have input identifying new ideas and requirements, and some will be also able to help with the actual programming.
Policy decisions will remain with the existing Programme team and their liaison with Heads of School.
The Technical Peer Group has an open-access mailing list that anyone can sign up and post to. More information can be found on our Website Support wiki. We very much welcome new members, so do please contact us if you would like to join or give a presentation to the group