Phase 1 - Identify user needs
The first phase is about making sure you are designing the product that people need.
During the first phase of design, it’s important to understand the people involved and their context, and check any assumptions the design team might be working on.
- Understand who is using your product or service.
- Find out what they are trying to achieve and the context they are in.
- Use this to establish what they need and any constraints from their context.
Watch the video
Our eight minute video explains this phase in more detail.
- Video: Phase 1 - Identify user needs - watch the video
- An eight minute video explaining phase 1 of the design process in detail.
Each of our design phases have standards which you can use to assess how your project is performing against the standards.