Why use DataVault
Decide if DataVault is the right place for your data
The purpose of the DataVault is to provide you (PIs/data owners) with a long-term, low-cost, immutable, and safe storage solution for your research data, which is no longer active or not intended for publication.
The service provides:
Secure data storage on the University’s archival storage platform
Full encryption for sensitive data
Restricted access (the current data owner or nominated individuals only)
Permanent dataset identifier DOI
Data discoverability through linkage to a Pure record
The service enables you to:
- Comply with funder and University requirements to preserve research data for the long-term
- Confidently store your data for retrieval at a future date
Who can deposit and retrieve data?
You must be a University of Edinburgh Researcher with an active University login
You must be the vault owner (usually the Principal Investigator) or a named delegate
The DataVault will not ordinarily be available for storing student-generated research data.
How long will the data be stored?
- You will specify the period for which the data must be kept before being reviewed for deletion.
- View our 'Getting started' DataVault video: How-to videos.
- Learn more about DataVault features from our blog post.
- If you need to make your data openly available and permanently archived you should consider using our open access repository DataShare: DataShare open access data repository.
- For other options, please see our Working with sensitive data page.